WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Friday, March 13, 2015

The Music of Herbie Nichols featuring Jason Marsalis

I've got a string of interesting gigs coming up these days including several dates leading a quartet featuring Jason Marsalis on vibraphone, playing the music of pianist Herbie Nichols.

I've been fascinated with Nichols' music for over ten years now. I was first introduced to his music while I was studying with Matt Wilson in New York City in 2004 and he was playing with the Herbie Nichols Project, a band co-led by Ben Allison and Frank Kimbrough that extensively researched and performed his music.

I'm also looking forward to finally working with Jason Marsalis. He's a force on the drums AND now the vibraphone as well!

We are at the Yardbird Suite in Edmonton, AB on Friday, March 20th:


And River Park Church in Calgary on Saturday, March 21st, presented by JazzYYC:


Here's a link to a little interview I did with JazzYYC in advance of our Calgary concert:

https://www.jazzyyc.com/jon-mccaslin-interview/?ct=t(Feb_92_9_2015)



























No comments:

Post a Comment