WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Monday, April 29, 2013

Yoron Israel on Brushes

I spent some time studying with Berklee's Yoron Israel while I was touring with the show Barrage in 2004. We spent some extended time performing in Boston so I spent my days hanging around Berklee and the various drum shops in the neighborhood (in fact I even bought a very nice 22" K Constantinople ride cymbal there that I still use today...)

Yoron introduced me to Alan Dawson's Rudiment Ritual and emphasized being able to play it with the brushes as well. As you can see from this performance, Israel definitely practices what he preaches!



Dig the variety of strokes and sounds that Yoron is able to get out just a pair of brushes and a snare drum. Well, back to the woodshed!

No comments:

Post a Comment