WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Alan Dawson & The Rudimental Ritual



Well, this one is quite the find! Here is the legendary drummer and educator Alan Dawson demonstrating, with brushes, his Rudimental Ritual:



I first started practicing the Rudimental Ritual myself about ten years ago and found it to be tremendously beneficial to my playing, both with sticks and brushes. I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking to improve their flexibility of playing the snare drum rudiments and getting their hands together. It takes awhile to get together, but it's worth it!

In this next one Dawson demonstrates a basic brush timekeeping pattern:



And I've posted these next two a few times before, but Alan is playing so good here it's worth posting them again!



3 comments:

  1. Great find Jon, wow! Never thought I would get to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey jon - thank you for remembering alan here. is studied with him about 20 years ago, hard to believe it's been that long. he was a beautiful player and a beautiful human being.

    ReplyDelete