WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

PASIC 2010 - Day 1



Well, I've been looking forward to this day since the last PASIC conference (Percussive Arts Society International Convention) ended a year ago! This looks to be a great week of drums, drummers and drumming from all over the world and in every shape and form. In fact, I thought last year's conference was impressive but this year's schedule looks even better !!!

Today was the official pre-conference session. Last year this featured a special Focus Day consisting of themed performances but rather this years Focus Day(s) concerts are spread over the entire conference schedule.

Instead, the small group pre-conference session I attended today was a special PAS Collegiate Pedagogy Mentoring Day that ran the entire day (it was a marathon actually!) The seminar was intended to answer questions and provide guidance to aspiring college and university teachers (such as myself) and current college percussion teachers who are just starting out.

The sessions included guest speakers such as Tim Lautzenheiser, Dean Gronemeier, Anothony DiSanza, Julia Gaines, Steven Hemphill, Rich Holly, Gary Cooke and Jeff Moore. Topics of the session included developing effective communication skills, identifying one's personal teaching philosophies, the tenure process and student recruitment.

The speakers were all highly skilled and experienced teachers and percussionists and all had really good things to say. I really learned a lot and came away from the whole experience with lots of helpful information, inspired and motivated to improve my own ability as a teacher and develop my own skills in all those areas.

Lots of work to be done.....and I'm sure I'm going to be repeating that phrase several times this week as I check out many of the world's finest musicians !

No comments:

Post a Comment