WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Billy Drummond Drums



It's always a pleasure to hear Billy Drummond play the drums:



Billy is a great drummer that I've enjoyed for some time. His albums Native Colours, The Gift and Dubai all released on the Criss Cross Jazz record label are all favorites of mine and great examples of contemporary post-bop Jazz drumming at it's best. Billy's got a great cymbal beat (and a great collection of old K's too!) and a great "take no prisoners" concept and sound on the drums that I really identify with. His take on influences such as Tony Williams and Elvin Jones is quite unique. I think he's been touring a lot lately with Carla Bley and Steve Swallow, but some of my favorite memories of Billy's playing were from his performances in various piano trios with Renee Rosnes and such bass players as Ed Howard, John Patitucci and Scott Colley that I heard in Montreal, New York and Saskatoon, Saskatchewan during the late 90s. Billy's playing on Chris Potter's album "Vertigo" is one of my favorites as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment