WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Friday, November 5, 2010

Antonio Sanchez with Donny McCaslin



A dandy of a clip today featuring drummer Antonio Sanchez with saxophonist Donny McCaslin's group:



I heard this group with Donny McCaslin, Antonio Sanchez, Scott Colley on bass and Ben Monder on guitar at the Rex Jazz Bar in Toronto in 2007. It was a very memorable evening of music (I went both nights actually!) and it was one of the rare nights that I heard the Rex so quiet while so packed full of people (mostly students/musicians as far as I could tell - this is rare!). A great band and McCaslin is one of my favorite contemporary Jazz saxophonists (and yes, we share the same last name - although no relation!)

Sanchez' playing was incredibly musical and demonstrated an extreme dynamic sensitivity in addition to his ridiculous chops that he was so well known for during his tenure with the Pat Metheny group. In fact, I read in an interview with Jeff "Tain" Watts where he refers to Sanchez as "the modern day latin Tony Williams". Indeed !

No comments:

Post a Comment